Seagate® Technology Holdings plc (NASDAQ: STX), a leading provider of global data storage infrastructure solutions, today proposed five technology trend predictions and five data storage trend observations, which will promote the development of technology and storage innovation in 2023.
Trend 1: Data democratization will be the primary competitive advantage in 2023
In response to the economic slowdown, business leaders rely more on their teams. However, most of these teams have been downsized. When companies open their teams to access various data without restrictions, employees will naturally gain rich insights from in-depth customer data analysis. Enterprises can use data to grasp demand, thereby better overcoming customer pain points, and improving customer satisfaction and retention rates.
Trend 2: With the growth of industrial cloud, legal compliance will liberate innovation
In order to meet the legal compliance requirements of highly regulated industries, cloud service providers will launch more clouds and services required by individual industries. Legal compliance can not only reduce information security risks, but also promote efficiency, help share knowledge, and implement common systems and control within the organization. As enterprises expect cloud service providers to take into account both legal compliance and innovation, the future industry cloud will be more prosperous .
Trend 3: In order to increase data analysis capacity and accelerate innovation, multi-cloud will become localized this year
More enterprises will choose the data storage method located at the edge of the city. Since a large amount of data is generated and consumed in the metropolitan area, if the data storage location can be closer to where it is generated, it will be able to achieve the needs of large-scale data analysis workloads. Extremely low latency. Accelerated analysis of large datasets will also lead to better machine learning models, which in turn will accelerate innovation and make better decisions at the right time.
Trend 4: Cloud service providers will face more demands on improving the transparency of technology stacking and resolving concerns about information security
In response to the increasing government software security regulations and customers’ concerns about software vulnerabilities, software vendors must increase the transparency of technology stacks. As pressure on customers continues to mount, cloud providers will also be required to be more open and offer new ways to evaluate IT purchasing decisions.
Trend 5: Automation will fill security skills gaps and create new ones
Due to the shortage of information security talents, organizations have adopted automated information security tools in order to be cost-effective. However, managing these tools requires professional skills. Automation may fill the existing information security skills gap, but it may also create new vulnerabilities. Automation requires The level of professionalism may exceed the current majors of many information security personnel. If organizations can carefully select new technologies and invest in improving the skills of IT personnel, they will be able to effectively prevent information security threats and at the same time strengthen the loyalty of employees to the organization.
In addition to technological development trends, Seagate is committed to providing innovative data storage solutions. The following five observations are made for data storage trends in 2023.
Trend 6: There will be more and more dedicated chips required to operate data movement
Enterprises are facing a flood of data today, and the industry is working hard to reduce the movement of data within the system. To reduce the amount of data movement, there are two main ways, one is to use data reduction technology, and the other is to use data awareness methods.
- Hardware-based data reduction technologies will become more and more popular, among which data compression and deduplication will be the main ones.
- Through data flow and algorithms, “compression” can reduce large amounts of data.
- Deduplication looks for identical data streams, stores only a single copy, and replaces the remaining duplicates with tags. For example, if two documents differ only by one word, they can be simplified into one data set containing common information, and the other data set will only have different words.
- Among the various data awareness tools, AI and machine learning-based data manipulation methods will be widely developed in the new year.
- For example, a machine learning algorithm can determine the similarity of data by recording data patterns when receiving data, and it may be able to train the system to discard the first 10 inputs after receiving 10 identical inputs.
- High-efficiency, high-speed powerful hardware is used on the data path. These hardware are closer to the location of the data, and will be able to judge data selection and data placement. At present, many enterprises have implemented on the data path with the assistance of processing units.
Some of these technologies are integrated in Seagate’s system solutions, and a trend toward RISC-V-based devices can also be seen in these solutions.
Business interpretation: If enterprises are unwilling to invest in data processing at this layer, they will have to continue to invest in expanding the capacity of the storage layer.
Trend 7: Emerging interfaces will continue to simplify the complexity of internal storage systems
CXL and NVMe will cause heated discussions in 2022, and the new year will tend to be more simplified deployment. For example, NVMe-oF (NVMe over fabric) is widely used to connect many terminal devices in series.
Business Interpretation: Interface convergence can simplify solutions while expanding the use cases of combination. Under this trend, enterprises can reduce connection and hardware overhead. Since various hardware can be mixed and matched, hardware can be applied to more use case.
Trend 8: HAMR technology will become more popular in business
Heat-assisted magnetic recording (HAMR) technology will support the latest large-capacity devices. HAMR can greatly increase the magnetic recording density and promote the development and growth of next-generation hardware in the next decade.
Business interpretation: HAMR technology will drive capacity growth and provide enterprises with more data storage space.
Trend 9: Cloud-native software momentum is bullish
The common container deployment model allows enterprises to improve flexibility and elasticity, and cloud-native computing helps organizations use open source software stacks in public, private, and hybrid clouds to build and run scalable and reliable applications. Industry consolidation has also changed the industry ecology. For example, Broadcom (Broadcom) announced the acquisition of VMWare.
Business Interpretation: Cloud-native software is deployed in a unified manner, and simplifies the organization’s development, operation and reliability architecture. The ecosystem is centered on application developers, allowing organizations to consume according to demand, rapidly expand scale, flexibly move workloads, and manage failures more easily .
Trend 10: “Reduction, recycling, and reuse” are becoming increasingly important to the industry
- Reduction: At the device level, we hope to reduce data movement through technologies such as compression, and reducing data writing can also reduce power consumption.
- Recycling: Data storage companies explore how to recycle various device components and reuse them.
- Reuse: As far as storage devices are concerned, reuse means that the hard disk is resold after clearing the data of the storage device with security technology.
Business Interpretation: True sustainability is a total cost of ownership model that considers the sustainability of the earth. To maintain the world we love, work and play, no matter individuals, governments or companies, we all have the responsibility to keep the world livable. However, this is gradually Become a common expectation of customers.